APPROACH TO CONSERVING WATER AND ENERGY
the current situation of the water and water quality supply
along with government legislation concerning the utilization
of water it has become increasingly important for business
and industry to utilize water correctly and more efficiently.
and more emphasis is being put on the way water is being utilized
and the impact this utilization is having on both the environment
fully understanding the impact water has on our lives, business
and the environment we are able to evaluate and see if there
are ways and means of improving the way we utilize this scares
is this done?
water balance of the plant is drawn up as to establish the
What raw water sources are available?
• What is the quality of the water source and what are
the various process requirements.
• Evaluation of effluent and effluent treatment processes.
of each section as to the quality requirements compared to
available water sources.
Comparing available water quality as to process requirements.
• Evaluation of the water utilization processes.
• Finding of ways and means for improvement.
A simple example of this is at the inlet of an air-conditioning
sun heats up the air temperature that is taken into the air
conditioner unit and this increases the working rate required
by the unit and thus increases on the energy requirements,
repairs and maintenance of the unit.
and seeking of ways and means to reduce the water and energy
intake of the various processes.
Implementation of trial conditions.
• On-site monitoring and modifications.
• Analysis and evaluation of implemented changes.
improving on the efficiency of the air-conditioning we then
have the following benefits.
Reduced energy requirements.
• Reduced water evaporation.
• Decreased maintenance costs.
• Improved environmental conditions.
• Improved working conditions.
• Increased production unit availability.
• Increased plant production capabilities.
• Increased profit generating possibilities.
final step will be an evaluation and comparison of the conditions
before and after the implementation of any changes.
• Training and after sales service.
• Monitoring and control.